Be a better coach
A while back, Google organised these regular lunchtimes sessions for staff. Some of them are real gems.
Settle in and watch the whole thing! It's definitely worth it. Marchall Goldsmith gives people managers some excellent tips on how to be a better coach. Some of them include:
- Don't judge or disagree, just help the person you're coaching.
- Being a coach doesn't mean you have to be - or act - more superior to the person, we are all human beings.
- Don't take it too seriously, have some fun with it.
- Two way, not one way (help each other).
- It's better to focus on improving one thing, and do it well.
- If a person is not interested, don't think they will change in that area.
- You don't have to have deep knowledge of a person to coach.